Nothing is more frustrating than not being able to sleep. Tossing and turning. Your mind is racing, going over everything that happened today. Night noises keep you awake. What can you do? There ARE things you can do! Read on and learn some new tricks to sleep well. These tips are also known as "Sleep Hygiene."
- Sleep only when sleepy
- If you can't fall asleep within 20 minutes, get up and do something boring until you feel sleepy
- Don't take naps
- Get up and go to bed the same time every day
- Refrain from exercise at least 4 hours before bedtime
- Develop sleep rituals
- Only use your bed for sleeping
- Stay away from caffeine, nicotine and alcohol at least 4-6 hours before bed
- Have a light snack before bed
- Take a hot bath 90 minutes before bedtime
A hot bath will raise your body temperature, but it is the drop in body temperature that may leave you feeling sleepy. Read about the study done on body temperature below.
Trouble Sleeping? Chill Out! - A press release from the journal Sleep about the significance in body temperature before sleep
- Make sure your bed and bedroom are quiet and comfortable
- Use sunlight to set your biological clock