Thursday, October 16, 2008

What is Ventricular Septal Defect?


Yesterday, two kids was operated for vsd patch closure. Last night, i was assigned to one of them. What do we really mean by ventricular septal defect? According to healthsquare.com, theres a hole in the wall that divides the left and right ventricles of the heart. This defect is quite common in the US. The holes can be small or large causing the heart to work harder to pump more blood. Children with small holes needs no surgical intervention as this would close eventually but for those with large holes, a surgery is badly needed.
Children with VSD often presents growth delay, poor weight gain, have little energy, frequent colds and breathing problems. These are among other symptoms presented in my patient. I pitied them so much. It hurts me to my him in pain due to the major operation he's been through. What moved me more is that i never heard my patient complain. He asked but never complained. I just pray that God will bless these kids with so much love and protection.... coz for me, these children are Angels.

No comments: